Thanks to Mike over at Mikes Film Talk for hitting me with this tag (it only hurt a little, really… ;)). We all know Mike and we all know he’s full of awesome stories and interesting facts but if somehow you DON’T know Mike, you should go visit him…like NOW…
This particular exercise in sharing the WordPress love (pronounced lurve) is fairly simple, you answer the 11 questions posed by the “Tagger” and then set another 11 questions for the 11 bloggers you “Tag.” (That was a LOT of 11’s…) You probably should link back to the blogger what “brung ya.” Aka, who tagged you and maybe thank them? Just a thought. (And yes, I stole that entire paragraph directly from Mike. I am lazy. And sleepy.)
So here are
Mike’s Sandra’s 11 questions: (hehehe, sorry Mike!)
- Have you ever been made redundant from your job and how did you feel about it? Yes, a couple of times actually. The most awesome one though was when I worked at a jewelry store and with absolutely NO warning whatsoever, I was “made redundant” and very literally pushed out the back door into the pouring rain. No lie. Nobody had a clue it was going to happen and the owner’s son actually apologized to me about it.
- If you were interviewing someone for a writing job, what 3 qualities would you look for and why? Grammar, non-boringness, and the lyricalness of their writing.
- What is your favourite board game and why? Hmmm…I’m fond of Apples to Apples…and Monopoly.
- When you look at the stars, what do you see? Usually unicorns and pixie dust.
- When you look at the ocean, what does it remind you of? All the evil things that live there, hiding, just waiting to eat me…bastards.
- How do you overcome writer’s block? By reading Kerouac or Anais Nin…changing writing locations…writing words meaninglessly until they finally form into something that I need them to say…
- If you could say 3 encouraging things to another person, what would they be? You’re amazing. Never, ever doubt yourself because I never do. It ALWAYS gets better – ALWAYS, even if you don’t know it for a really long time.
- Do you prefer to write your stories/books/poetry/prose/articles on paper first, then type them up and edit them, or do you like to type them straight into your computer to edit? I prefer to write long hand, then type them up. I do type some stuff first though depending on whether I’m writing for work or on my personal stuff.
- Do you like writing in one genre or more? I write in a lot of genres – movie reviews, book reviews, non-fiction (I guess reviews count in non-fiction too, huh?), young adult, fiction, literary, poetry, screenplays, stage plays
- As a writer, do you think actions speak louder than words? Depends on what you’re writing. In fiction, actions can be used as a better way of telling but in poetry it’s all about the words.
- What is your favourite quote and why? Oh dear, just one?? I’m cheating and doing three. Why these three? These three best describe me and how I live or at least attempt to live.
“I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn’t impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”
― Anaïs Nin
“And it’s the wonders I’m after, even if I have to bleed for them.”
― Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”
― Jack Kerouac, On the Road
As always, I’m not tagging anyone because I can never remember who loves tags and who hates them. So if you feel like doing this, you’re tagged! Do a post or answer in the comments. Oh, here are my questions if anyone wants to play along.
- What author has inspired you the most?
- What director has most influenced your taste in film?
- How many instruments do you play?
- Why do women in horror movies always run up the stairs when it’s the stupidest thing ever to do?
- Who in your life has had the most influence?
- Where do you most want to travel in the world?
- Have you ever fallen in love with the wrong person?
- Better yet, have you fallen in love with the right person?
- How much time a day do you spend writing?
- Whose the most famous person you’ve met?
- What is sleep like?
Thanks so much to Mike over at Mike’s Film Talk for passing me the baton in the Movie Jail Relay Race! Been at least a month since I’ve participated in a blog-a-thon so away we go!! 🙂
”It’s time to put some movie people in jail. The object is to give a prosecutor’s argument as to why these movie people belong in “Movie Jail” whether it be for violating the integrity of the content source of one their films, or being a sell-out, just making bad movies overall, getting worse as time goes on or not being in a good movie for many years. The baton will be passed to another blogger who will have to do the following:
In order to free someone from Movie Jail they have to do 2 things
1 – Give a defense attorney argument defending the plaintiff
2 – Pay bail: the cost of which is another case for the court and a prosecutor’s argument against the actor/director of their choice that will replace the one set free.
There must always be 10 people in Movie Jail.”
Current Inmates are:
Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
The Participants (so far):
11. Aziza’s Picks
13. i luv cinema
15. The Warning Sign
16. 3 Guys 1 Movie
21. Head In A Vice
So who am I heisting from the big house? Well, the majority of you are going to hunt me down with torches and pitchforks a la Doctor Frankenstein but I’m totally releasing this girl:
That’s right. Ms. Kristen Stewart gets a pass from me. Why? Well, I’m not entirely sure why she’s in jail here – I’m assuming it’s because the majority of the world thinks she’s a bad actress (emotionless and lip bitey). Or perhaps it’s because people think she never smiles and should be happy for her fame, dammit. Or maybe it’s because she supposedly cheated on R-Patz with that director dude.
My rebuttal? Kristen Stewart is talented. Hella talented actually – girl’s got chops. I think the problem is that most people associate her with Bella from Twilight and Bella is one of the worst written female characters in recent history. The fact that a woman wrote her makes me want to scream. But I’m not here to discuss the underlying messages of abuse and deprecation in Twilight, so moving on…Kristen Stewart’s been acting her whole life – obviously she’s doing something right or when she moved out of the cute child phase, Hollywood would’ve dropped her like a hot potato because that’s what H’wood does. True, a lot of stuff I’ve seen that she’s fantabulous in is older stuff but she’s been working on Twilight for what, 6 years now or something? 4 years? A long time anyway and I’m not even going to count Snow White and the Huntsman because that whole movie was just stupid from marketing to plot (Theron was brilliant, I will give it that much). But what about The Runaways? Loved her in that (and loved the movie). Adventureland? Speak? Panic Room? Fierce People? C’mon, guys, the girl can emote. Problem is, she’s been stuck in “lip-biting, awkward, I need a man to love me or I’ll die” Bella phase for WAY too long. I’m hoping On The Road (which I’m dying to see as I adore Kerouac) will help break her out of the public mindset of awkward.
If it’s the never smiling thing well I feel her there because I am not a fan of the smiling at all. My friends are constantly yelling at me to “smile, dammit!!”. I prefer to be dark and mysterious and yeah, icy. It’s my schtick (well sometimes, I have different ones) so I can’t begrudge the girl for not bouncing around all rainbows&sunshines&lollipops&pixies. If it’s the “she should be happy for her fame” thing I have this to say – sometimes people become actors because they love to act, not because they want to be famous and there are tons of people out there who are actors, working actors, and can walk down the street without having cameras shoved in their face. Yeah, fame can come with the game but it doesn’t mean you have to be completely joyous about it all the time. I am painfully shy 50% of the time (which is WAYYYYY better than I used to be) – I can’t even function at events with lots of people without anxiety medicine – so if I ever get famous, I might be walking around all cranky looking too. That or completely zombified from the meds…
And if it’s the supposed cheating thing? Well, it’s none of my damn business. And also I remember what it’s like to be that age and dear lord, if I told you all stories of me from back in the day…heh, well, I’m not gonna because the amount of stupidity I had happening in my 20s was off the charts.
AND now that I’ve released poor Ms. Stewart from her stint behind bars, I need to find someone to replace her…who, oh who should it be?? I’m thinking this guy:
First, how did you guys get those bars on your pictures?? Mine suck, lol! Second, let’s get one thing straight – I ADORE JOSS WHEDON. Seriously, the day this dude let’s me go pick up his dry cleaning will be the best damn day of my life. However, I fucking LOATHE The Avengers. That was one piece of shit mockery of a film and I am completely heartbroken that my hero was behind this mess. 😦 You sold out, Whedon and you didn’t even do it well. And that, my love, is why you are now in jail. You go make good original kickawesome stuffs again please.
And now it’s my turn to pass on the baton and I’m passing it to our good friend, Eric over at the ipc! Be sure to check out who he decides to spring!! And thanks again, Mike, for letting me in on the fun that was the Movie Jail Relay Race!! 🙂