Posted by mistylayne
Halloween month continues with Catacombs from 2007, featuring Pink and the first original movie from FEARnet. Yes, the singer is in this and she is not terrible. She’s billed under her real name so my roommate and I actually spent the first fifteen minutes of the movie trying to decide if it was her or not. She doesn’t carry the film or anything but her role is a second lead (she’s in the film for about 45 minutes I think) and seriously, I was impressed. She’s not going to win any awards but she’s a competent actress, I thought.
Anyway, Victoria (Shannyn Sossamon), a girl in desperate need of food because she has heroin chic down pat, receives a postcard from her sister (Pink) in Paris that simply states “Come to Paris, it’ll be good for you.” Victoria’s never been away from home and suffers from a multitude of ailments (never fully explained except for her extreme anxiety) and has a multitude of pill bottles to take care of herself with but she flies to Paris to see her sister (who’s really kind of obnoxious). Once there Pink takes her to a massive rave held in the catacombs beneath Paris where a group of her friends tell Victoria about a killer who lives in the catacombs. Raised by a Satanic cult, “the Antichrist” feeds off people who get lost down there.
So what happens next? Well, duh. The Antichrist comes out to play after the police raid the rave and Victoria gets trampled on and knocked out and then lost in the catacombs.
- I love the fact that this is set in catacombs. Visually it’s creepy because the main characters are surrounded by bones the entire time and it’s also really insanely beautiful the art down there. I also am not familiar with any other “lost in the catacombs” movies so yay for a new place to be lost in!
- I enjoyed the fact that Pink was in it and didn’t suck.
- The ending was pretty great I thought. Nothing highly special but I actually didn’t like the movie until the ending.
- I didn’t like the movie until the ending. I thought the ending really turned the whole thing around but um…I spent the majority of the movie wishing it would hurry up and be over so I can’t say it was entirely worth it.
- The girl playing Victoria – her audition must’ve consisted of “Yes, scream for me.”….”Okay, say ‘Stop! Go away!'” and that must’ve really been it because yeah, she’s alone for a vast majority of this movie and the dialogue leaves a lot to be desired.
- There was a particular plot device used (a person to help out in the catacombs) that I just hated. It was moot and I think they only threw it in because they realized one person alone screaming in catacombs for 45 minutes does not a movie make.
I think I can sum up this movie best with what I repeatedly said to my roommate through out:
“We need to watch The Descent next. It’s the same premise but a million times better.”
About mistylayneI'm a Z movie loving, horror hound, Buffy quoting, Dr. Who watching, geekazoid and seeker of all things unusual. I'm a gypsy wanderer, lover of words, Wendy of the damned and all that jazz. What can I say? I'm complicated.
Posted on 2012.8.October, in American Cinema, Creature Feature, Horror and tagged catacombs, death is fun, eat a burger, paris, partying underground, pink, raves. Bookmark the permalink. 16 Comments.
The Descent is a zillion times better than this (but not The Descent 2!!!!!!!!!)
Ohhh, yeah, The Descent 2 did NOT make me happy!!
The Descent is one amazing movie – saw it in the theater and it really freaked me out.
I need to see Catacombs because I was lucky enough to see this location when I was in Paris some years ago. I thought that spot would be great for a horror movie. It looks like someone else thought the same thing.
Nice review – like your good and bad at the end of it.
Oh wow, I think seeing The Descent in a theatre would’ve freaked me out even more. It made me so claustrophobic and I’m not even claustrophobic in the first place.
Nice. I did the catacombs in Italy once but didn’t in Paris. It was a really great place for a horror movie (except I think a big chunk was filmed in Bucharest).
And thanks! 🙂
I am a tad bit claustrophobic so The Descent really worked me over in the theater.
Descent is a million times better!
never heard of this one. I’ll give it a look see. Thanks!
Welcome! Just be forewarned, the majority of the movie is repetitious and boring and then the ending totally makes it if you can hold on till then. 😉
Well you know my thoughts since you saw my review, but I hated the ending. It ruined everything for me, as whilst I dont want to spoil it, the words ‘insanely far fetched’ come to mind!
Sossamon is beautiful and a great actress so leave her alone Layne!
Im doing a post about Paris soon, so I have some great shots I took down in the catacombs. Creepy place but so worth the 3 hour queue and sunburn 🙂
It *was* insanely far fetched – I will totally give you that. But the rest of the movie was incredibly boring and I at least didn’t see that ending coming. I was thinking more along the lines of hallucinations.
Hey, I didn’t say anything bad about her! Except she really is terrifically skinny. Very lovely but very scary skinny. And she probably is a great actress but they gave her NOTHING to work with here and this is the only thing I’ve seen her in, I think.
Can’t wait to read the Paris post and see the catacomb shots!!! I need to go back to Paris soon. Really soon.
I’d love to visit the catacombs in Paris, but probably don’t want to watch this movie. Yay for The Descent. It reminds me of that time I went spelunking with my family…and then we were eaten by hungry monsters.
Visit the catacombs, avoid this movie and geez louise at that spelunking trip. Are there pictures? Cause that would ROCK.
The Descent f**king kicked ass!
I KNOW!! The 2nd one, less so though.